How to Use different embedding than OpenAI

Description

in the Quickstart page you provided how to connect with openai but what if i wanted use ollama or open source models from huggingface, how to do it?

try:
    questions = client.collections.create(
        name="Question",
        vectorizer_config=wvc.config.Configure.Vectorizer.text2vec_openai(),  # If set to "none" you must always provide vectors yourself. Could be any other "text2vec-*" also.
        generative_config=wvc.config.Configure.Generative.openai()  # Ensure the `generative-openai` module is used for generative queries
    )

Server Setup Information

• Weaviate Server Version:
  • Deployment Method: pip install -U weaviate-client
  • Multi Node? Number of Running Nodes: one node, localhost
  • Client Language and Version: python3.10
  • Multitenancy?: no

Any additional Information

when i use ollama like this:

try:
    questions = client.collections.create(
        name="Question",
        vectorizer_config=wvc.config.Configure.Vectorizer.text2vec_ollama(),  # If set to "none" you must always provide vectors yourself. Could be any other "text2vec-*" also.
        generative_config=wvc.config.Configure.Generative.ollama()  # Ensure the `generative-openai` module is used for generative queries
    )

i get this error:

weaviate.exceptions.UnexpectedStatusCodeError: Collection may not have been created properly.! Unexpected status code: 422, with response body: {'error': [{'message': 'vectorizer: no module with name "text2vec-ollama" present'}]}.

Hey!

I can gladly help help here! When you are switching vectorizers you need to make sure the Module is also installed in your instance of Weaviate. If you are following the quickstart, then the part where you set up your docker-compose.yml, under the environment variables, you have ENABLE_MODULES here you would enable the modules you want to be able to access with your Weaviate Install. Do note any changes to your docker compose file will require you to restart the instance of Weaviate with the new compose file!

You can find also the available modules here: Vectorizers and Rerankers | Weaviate - Vector Database

I hope this helps get you past this error!

Regards!

1 Like