Strange hehavior when combine filters with and operator to filter by reference

I have a filter like this

text_chunk_filter = (
                Filter.by_ref("has_index_in_file_data").by_property("file_data_uuid").equal(file_data_uuid)
                & Filter.by_ref("has_index_in_file_data").by_property("index").greater_or_equal(start_index)
                & Filter.by_ref("has_index_in_file_data").by_property("index").less_or_equal(end_index)
        )

this will cause a warning:

{"level":"warning","msg":"Number of found nested reference results exceeds configured QUERY_MAXIMUM_RESULTS. This may result in search performance degradation or even out of memory errors.","nested_reference_results":11922,"query_maximum_results":10000,"time":"2024-03-11T12:09:04Z"}

I have already kinda know what the warning is and trying to solve it but I find a strange thing.
if I use this filter the then the warning will not be triggered

text_chunk_filter = (
                Filter.by_ref("has_index_in_file_data").by_property("file_data_uuid").equal(file_data_uuid)
        )

As far As I know ther former filter should be more strict than the later one but how could the later one won’t trigger the warning?

Hi @shadowlin !

that text_chunk_filter is the only part it changes on that query? the returned properties and references are the same for both, right?

Also, how is that query being made? hybrid?

Thanks!

yes.The filter is the only thing changed. the query is a vector only query.
And the “file_data_uuid” filter alone could reduce the returned result to blow 100 objects.
I always find the filter1 & filter2 dosen’t work as I thought in weaviate, is there something I missed?

Hi!

Do you think you could reproduce this on a smaller scale and with anonymous data?

I tried some options here, but always got the correct results with my dataset.

Here is a nice variation:

from weaviate import classes as wvc

include_weather = True
include_plane = True

base_filter = wvc.query.Filter.by_property("category").equal("ANIMALS")
weather_filter = wvc.query.Filter.by_property("question").like("weather")
plane_filter = wvc.query.Filter.by_property("question").like("plane")

used_filters = [base_filter]
if include_plane:
    used_filters.append(plane_filter)
if include_weather:
    used_filters.append(weather_filter)

query = questions.query.fetch_objects(
    filters=wvc.query.Filter.any_of(used_filters) # can also be all_of
)
for object in query.objects:
    print(object.properties)

I will try to come up with a demo to show the case later.

1 Like