Query Regarding Weaviate Python Client: Backup and Restore Functionality

Hi Team,

Description

I am currently using Weaviate through the Python client. I encountered an issue while attempting to perform backup or restore operations on multiple indexes/collections simultaneously. The system prompted an error indicating that another index’s backup/restore is already in progress.

My question is, is there a configuration setting available to address this challenge, or is it currently unsupported within the system?
Furthermore, I am curious whether this functionality is on the development backlog and if there are plans to address it in upcoming releases.

Server Setup Information

• Weaviate Server Version: semitechnologies/weaviate:1.22.0
  • Deployment Method: Docker
  • Multi Node? Number of Running Nodes: 1
  • Client Language and Version: Python, 3.25.3

Thanks

hi!

I don’t believe it is possible to perform two backups routines at the same time.

Not sure this is case the case. Do you see any outstanding logs from the server?

Hi @DudaNogueira ,
I get this below stack trace while backing up index Y.
Backup of index Y fails when backup of index X is in progress.

create_status = _decode_json_response_dict(response, \"Backup creation\") 
File \"/app/venv/lib/python3.10/site-packages/weaviate/util.py\", line 798, in _decode_json_response_dict     
raise UnexpectedStatusCodeException(location, response)
weaviate.exceptions.UnexpectedStatusCodeException: Backup creation! Unexpected status code: 422, 
with response body: {\\'error\\': [{\\'message\\': \\'backup index_X already in progress\\'}]}

I believe you will need to wait for one backup process to finish before starting that new one.

Were you able to do one backup process at a time?

Thanks!