Where can I monitor my WCS usage and costs?

I swear I looked everywhere but I can’t seem to find a place in the Dashboard where I can see activity and errors on my Weaviate cloud clusters and my daily costs, so I can watch out for surging costs I can’t afford and hopefully set up billing alerts. Can someone tell me where I find that?

Hi @Robert_Oschler !

We do not expose activity, metrics, usage or logs in a cluster dashboard.

When/if you face any errors, you can reach us at support@weaviate.io and we’ll help you figure it out, looking at logs or helping with development and production.

Regarding the costs, you can see the running cost under the billing section, that shows the running cost since your last invoice. That value is updated daily, according to the stored dimensions and tier level. It following calculations described in Pricing | Weaviate - Vector Database

We do have an exciting roadmap for WCS and I will make sure to advocate for those suggestions! Thanks for that!

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks. Does the monthly charge cover some usage and after that you start incurring extra costs? Or is the monthly charge a service feed and any usage on my part creates charges on my account?

Also, is this page where I am supposed to see my current charges?

Right now, I don’t see any items under the Billing History section.

Hi!

The $25 will cover you for some usage.

For example, if your vectors have 1,024 dimensions, you can store something around 257k objects without extra costs.

If you get past that, the stored dimensions costs will be added according to the price per dimension.

Other factors that will increase the cost are the tier level and if you enable High Availability.

there is a nice calculator in this page that help on that.

In order to check the running costs of your cluster, you first select the organization you want, then click on dashboard.

You should see all your clusters there. Expand the cluster details by clicking on the arrow down on the right of the cluster box. Among other informations (cluster url, api key, object count, etc.) you have the billing section:

note that as this is an internal cluster, it doesn’t have invoices.

Let me know if this helps!

Thanks!

1 Like

Is there any way to know how many dimensions one of my vectors has? Or is there no simple calculation for that? Each of my objects have 3 fields:

• chunkText (type: text)
  • attributionUrl(type: text) but “skipped”
  • datePublished (type: date)

Each chunk of text is about the size of a typical paragraph with about 5 sentences.

Hi @Robert_Oschler !

The number of dimensions are defined according to the model you are using, and it doesn’t depend on the size of your content.

For every content you throw in, the model will return a fixed number of dimensions in a vector.

That also means that you can only search your collection with a vector that not only has the same number of dimensions, but was also generated by the same model.

With dimension defined, you can multiply that number by the number of objects you have. That would be the total stored dimensions for that collection.

For example, the code below will always generate a 1536 dimension vector:

curl https://api.openai.com/v1/embeddings \
  -H "Content-Type: application/json" \
  -H "Authorization: Bearer $OPENAI_API_KEY" \
  -d '{
    "input": "Your text string goes here",
    "model": "text-embedding-3-small"
  }'

not matter what you replace Your text string goes here with

You can get the first object of a collection and count it’s vector dimensions to discover what dimensions a collection use.

But you can get the dimension numbers from the model you are using, for example, for the example above:
https://platform.openai.com/docs/guides/embeddings

By default, the length of the embedding vector will be 1536 for text-embedding-3-small or 3072 for text-embedding-3-large

Let me know if this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like