Exception: Query call with protocol GRPC batch failed with message recvmsg:Connection reset by peer

Description

So I have a custom linux home server which I have built and I have deployed a weaviate instance using docker. Now I am transfering around 7M records from my mongo instance (which is also running as a docker instance in my current setup) to weaviate using multithreading.

The thing is after migrating around 3M records the python script crashes with the following error:
Exception: Query call with protocol GRPC batch failed with message recvmsg:Connection reset by peer.

Server Setup Information

• Weaviate Server Version:
  • Deployment Method: docker
  • Multi Node? Number of Running Nodes: 1
  • Client Language and Version: Python v4
  • Multitenancy?: No

Any additional Information

Here’s the complete log:

weaviate.exceptions.WeaviateBatchError: Query call with protocol GRPC batch failed with message recvmsg:Connection reset by peer.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/abc/test/datamigration/.venv/lib/python3.12/site-packages/weaviate/collections/batch/grpc_batch_objects.py", line 137, in __send_batch
    res, _ = self._connection.grpc_stub.BatchObjects.with_call(
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/abc/test/datamigration/.venv/lib64/python3.12/site-packages/grpc/_channel.py", line 1198, in with_call
    return _end_unary_response_blocking(state, call, True, None)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/abc/test/datamigration/.venv/lib64/python3.12/site-packages/grpc/_channel.py", line 1006, in _end_unary_response_blocking
    raise _InactiveRpcError(state)  # pytype: disable=not-instantiable
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
grpc._channel._InactiveRpcError: <_InactiveRpcError of RPC that terminated with:
	status = StatusCode.UNAVAILABLE
	details = "recvmsg:Connection reset by peer"
	debug_error_string = "UNKNOWN:Error received from peer  {created_time:"2024-07-11T18:15:30.460550531+12:00", grpc_status:14, grpc_message:"recvmsg:Connection reset by peer"}"
>

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/home/abc/test/datamigration/transfer_mongo2weav.py", line 194, in <module>
    upload2weaviate(
  File "/home/abc/test/datamigration/transfer_mongo2weav.py", line 39, in upload2weaviate
    uuids = weaviate_collection.data.insert_many(data)
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/abc/test/datamigration/.venv/lib/python3.12/site-packages/weaviate/collections/data.py", line 410, in insert_many
    return self._batch_grpc.objects(
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/abc/test/datamigration/.venv/lib/python3.12/site-packages/weaviate/collections/batch/grpc_batch_objects.py", line 97, in objects
    errors = self.__send_batch(weaviate_objs, timeout=timeout)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/abc/test/datamigration/.venv/lib/python3.12/site-packages/weaviate/collections/batch/grpc_batch_objects.py", line 151, in __send_batch
    raise WeaviateBatchError(e.details())  # pyright: ignore
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
weaviate.exceptions.WeaviateBatchError: Query call with protocol GRPC batch failed with message recvmsg:Connection reset by peer.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/home/abc/test/datamigration/transfer_mongo2weav.py", line 216, in <module>
    raise Exception(e)
Exception: Query call with protocol GRPC batch failed with message recvmsg:Connection reset by peer.

Hi @Adityam_Ghosh,

Welcome to our community! It’s great to have you here.

I’ve noticed this issue can occur when there’s latency in the connection.

Can you try adding the skip_init_checks=True flag to your connection call to bypass the initial connection checks? Here’s how you can do it:

import weaviate

client = weaviate.connect_to_local(
    skip_init_checks=True
)

Initial Connection Checks - If you stop seeing the error, it would likely point to latency issues when checking the port.

Thanks, but unfortunately this also didn’t work out. I’m thinking, is it because I am trying to upload the data to weaviate using multithreading? Like since it’s receiving a lot of request, the server isn’t able to process all of these at once?

Happy Friday @Adityam_Ghosh!

It’s good point! have you considered running multiple nodes setup then like at least 3?

Hi @Mohamed_Shahin, thanks for the suggestion. I haven’t thought about this. Will surely try it and post an update regarding this.

1 Like

Awesome, and configure the replication factor to 3:

Also, this batch import best practice may add to the code you have

Let me know how it goes!

Have a good weekend!

Thanks mate, you too have a great weekend! Right now, I am trying another configuration where I have just increased the memory limit from 1GB to 4GB and see what happens. And then I will try the solution that you have shared.

1 Like